Update? What's that?
For those who still check this, thank you. If it's any consolation you haven't really missed much by my not posting.
But there are a couple interesting stories I've been accumulating. Owen had his friends from Toronto arrive- they've been driving across Canada in an old truck, doing odd jobs to get gas money and food, and now they're trying to get a job here. They're still living in the truck, though they hang out at Owen's place most of the time. It's a pretty good place to look for work though- if they don't get in at the Chateau, there are still tons of places hiring in Banff. Of course this is a place for my stories, but it's pretty incredible that they drove all the way out here... especially after having driven in that thing!
The last couple days have been quite fun for yours truly, it so happens. A while ago, one of the supervisors, Andrew, started organizing a beach party for the deli and IRD. Pretty much everyone signed up- that is, other than the new girls, who weren't there yet (as an update, we've hired 5 new girls so we're not completely understaffed, though most of us are still working 6 days a week). The plan thus was to have them all work the afternoon shifts on this particular wednesday and the rest of us got morning shifts, thus enabling us to attend the beach party.
Really, I was a bit sceptical as the day approached- even though its just the beginning of August, summer is pretty much over here. But we were lucky enough to actually get the warmest day in a while- I think it got up to about 23 or so, so it was pretty pleasant. Andrew brought his barbeque so we had early dinner and such. Of course, the weather here never plays nice all the time, and a sudden onset of rain made our decision of when to leave for us. But the night was not over yet- oh no.
As I may have mentioned before, the standard pub nights are monday, thursday, and saturday. But this wednesday there was a big advertisement for a retro night. Lots of people were talking about dressing up for it, which I thought about as well- but there was the slight problem that I owned absolutely nothing that even entertained the idea of looking like it was from the 80's, or 70's for that matter. I had one option- wear a particular thin, collared black sweater/jacket I have, jeans, and grease my hair to the point of unrecognizeability. Personally I think it worked pretty well, though I didn't really look like I had dressed retro, unless you know how I usually dress. But, you know, details details.
But but the time I was changed it was only about 10- far too early to go to the bar. Luckily Andrew had invited us all there to finish the hotdogs and have a few drinks before the bar. It's a special kind of intoxication you get from when someone else, especially someone you work for, lets you have more or less free reign with his bar. It's a wonderful thing.
I have to say, that night was some of the most fun I've had there. People were so tickled with their trashy outfits the atmosphere was a lot more friendly and open. And as it just so happened I met a couple people who were down that worked up at the teahouse and started talking with them. It's really refreshing to be able to talk to people who don't work at the Fairmont- plus, I think the teahouse demands being able to be friendly with people a lot more than this place, since you're in such close quarters with your coworkers all the time. As it so happens, one of them, a girl named Andy, used to live in Waterloo. I've met one or two other people from the area here but it's still funny when it happens. She also seems to have almost exactly the same taste in music as I do, which is always a great icebreaker. She and her friend had to leave early to hike back up to the teahouse, but I said I'd hike up after it closed to meet them, as they said they were planning to come back down for thursday night.
The rest of the night went well, especially when they played Fight for Your Right. Hell yes. Second best party song ever, after Bohemian Rhapsody of course.
Anyways, I had a long sleep-in the next day, seeing as I had it off. It was rather restless though, and I kept having those strange semi-dreams where I am somewhat awake, but keep thinking in mindsets like I'm somewhere else- work, school, or something like that. When I got up I saw that the rain from the night before had returned, which made hiking up to the teahouse a much less pleasant proposition, and I was considering bailing. But, as 6 o'clock rolled around, things slowed down and the rain abated. Now I really should have taken into account the fact that, as I said before, the weather is incredibly erratic here, but it honestly seemed to be clearing up.
As you can probably guess by the sandbagging there, after I got a bit more than halfway up to Lake Agnes, it started to rain. Nothing bad, and I did have my coat on, so I pressed on. Then just as I came out into the open beside Mirror Lake, which is about 10 minutes from the teahouse, it started getting heavier. And it started increasing. So for my last bit of trail, it was basically a torrential downpour, which I scurried through to get to the shelter of the house. It wasn't all bad though, as it gave me a chance to sit and chat for a while while my coat and sweater were dried over the oven. Andy and her friend had changed their minds about going down to the pub again, but Andy said she'd walk back down with me, since the rain had stopped again. Oddly enough that was the first time I've done any hiking with someone other than when my parents were here. It was nice to have someone to talk to.
But once I got down, the hike (which I did all the way to the top without stopping, I should note) plus the restless sleep caught up with me and I wasn't in the mood to go out either. So I went to bed early and got a much better sleep. That brings me to today, when I did approximatly nothing. You see, Thursday is the last day of each schedule (that was my day off) and my day off for the next schedule was the first day, thus giving me two days off in exchange for most likely having a 10 day or more stretch afterwards. We'll see if it's worth it, I guess.
One month left in Lake Louise- and I can say quite safely I'm ready to go home. Miss you all.
Stay Frosty,
Trevor
But there are a couple interesting stories I've been accumulating. Owen had his friends from Toronto arrive- they've been driving across Canada in an old truck, doing odd jobs to get gas money and food, and now they're trying to get a job here. They're still living in the truck, though they hang out at Owen's place most of the time. It's a pretty good place to look for work though- if they don't get in at the Chateau, there are still tons of places hiring in Banff. Of course this is a place for my stories, but it's pretty incredible that they drove all the way out here... especially after having driven in that thing!
The last couple days have been quite fun for yours truly, it so happens. A while ago, one of the supervisors, Andrew, started organizing a beach party for the deli and IRD. Pretty much everyone signed up- that is, other than the new girls, who weren't there yet (as an update, we've hired 5 new girls so we're not completely understaffed, though most of us are still working 6 days a week). The plan thus was to have them all work the afternoon shifts on this particular wednesday and the rest of us got morning shifts, thus enabling us to attend the beach party.
Really, I was a bit sceptical as the day approached- even though its just the beginning of August, summer is pretty much over here. But we were lucky enough to actually get the warmest day in a while- I think it got up to about 23 or so, so it was pretty pleasant. Andrew brought his barbeque so we had early dinner and such. Of course, the weather here never plays nice all the time, and a sudden onset of rain made our decision of when to leave for us. But the night was not over yet- oh no.
As I may have mentioned before, the standard pub nights are monday, thursday, and saturday. But this wednesday there was a big advertisement for a retro night. Lots of people were talking about dressing up for it, which I thought about as well- but there was the slight problem that I owned absolutely nothing that even entertained the idea of looking like it was from the 80's, or 70's for that matter. I had one option- wear a particular thin, collared black sweater/jacket I have, jeans, and grease my hair to the point of unrecognizeability. Personally I think it worked pretty well, though I didn't really look like I had dressed retro, unless you know how I usually dress. But, you know, details details.
But but the time I was changed it was only about 10- far too early to go to the bar. Luckily Andrew had invited us all there to finish the hotdogs and have a few drinks before the bar. It's a special kind of intoxication you get from when someone else, especially someone you work for, lets you have more or less free reign with his bar. It's a wonderful thing.
I have to say, that night was some of the most fun I've had there. People were so tickled with their trashy outfits the atmosphere was a lot more friendly and open. And as it just so happened I met a couple people who were down that worked up at the teahouse and started talking with them. It's really refreshing to be able to talk to people who don't work at the Fairmont- plus, I think the teahouse demands being able to be friendly with people a lot more than this place, since you're in such close quarters with your coworkers all the time. As it so happens, one of them, a girl named Andy, used to live in Waterloo. I've met one or two other people from the area here but it's still funny when it happens. She also seems to have almost exactly the same taste in music as I do, which is always a great icebreaker. She and her friend had to leave early to hike back up to the teahouse, but I said I'd hike up after it closed to meet them, as they said they were planning to come back down for thursday night.
The rest of the night went well, especially when they played Fight for Your Right. Hell yes. Second best party song ever, after Bohemian Rhapsody of course.
Anyways, I had a long sleep-in the next day, seeing as I had it off. It was rather restless though, and I kept having those strange semi-dreams where I am somewhat awake, but keep thinking in mindsets like I'm somewhere else- work, school, or something like that. When I got up I saw that the rain from the night before had returned, which made hiking up to the teahouse a much less pleasant proposition, and I was considering bailing. But, as 6 o'clock rolled around, things slowed down and the rain abated. Now I really should have taken into account the fact that, as I said before, the weather is incredibly erratic here, but it honestly seemed to be clearing up.
As you can probably guess by the sandbagging there, after I got a bit more than halfway up to Lake Agnes, it started to rain. Nothing bad, and I did have my coat on, so I pressed on. Then just as I came out into the open beside Mirror Lake, which is about 10 minutes from the teahouse, it started getting heavier. And it started increasing. So for my last bit of trail, it was basically a torrential downpour, which I scurried through to get to the shelter of the house. It wasn't all bad though, as it gave me a chance to sit and chat for a while while my coat and sweater were dried over the oven. Andy and her friend had changed their minds about going down to the pub again, but Andy said she'd walk back down with me, since the rain had stopped again. Oddly enough that was the first time I've done any hiking with someone other than when my parents were here. It was nice to have someone to talk to.
But once I got down, the hike (which I did all the way to the top without stopping, I should note) plus the restless sleep caught up with me and I wasn't in the mood to go out either. So I went to bed early and got a much better sleep. That brings me to today, when I did approximatly nothing. You see, Thursday is the last day of each schedule (that was my day off) and my day off for the next schedule was the first day, thus giving me two days off in exchange for most likely having a 10 day or more stretch afterwards. We'll see if it's worth it, I guess.
One month left in Lake Louise- and I can say quite safely I'm ready to go home. Miss you all.
Stay Frosty,
Trevor

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home