Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Justification

So I finally decided it was time to update again. I will admit I felt a little guilty when I realized it had been a full month since my last post, but really I haven't felt like there has been anything to write about. Life is not exactly fraught with excitement in Lake Louise, not to mention I'm not exactly a person who likes to go on about everything that happens to me- whether from a desire for privacy or simply not feeling that the things that happen to me are of any note to others, I don't really know (but I'll never tell you! Not that you want to know anyways...).

But I suppose, looking back, there were opportunities for me to at least tell a short story, and didn't, so for that I apolgize. I guess my psyche was just compensating for all the procrastination I was missing from not being in school. However I will go over the things that happened in the past month that deserve mention.

As an example of the absolutely hectic pace of life that keeps me occupied so constantly around here, I decided that I needed some sort of video game to play because I was losing my mind from boredom. It's a sad day when you actually catch yourself wishing you were working on a day off, simply because your mind is overwhelmed with ennui. Though that only happened once it was rather horrifying. So I ordered a DS Lite (The DS is a portable system with two screens, the bottom one being touch sensitive- the DS Lite is a redesign with much sexier look and other improved function that I won't go over because if you care, you know already(and yes, I did just use sexy to describe a portable game system. You'd agree if you saw it... really.)) I've now had it for a bit over a week and my current record is 335 lines in Tetris. Going to see if I can get to 500 by the end of the summer- feel free to make bets among yourselves.

For the record, one interesting effect of living here is that time becomes blurry and indistinct. I honestly could not tell you if a certain event took place a month or two weeks ago, unless I have a sort of time milestone to remember by (a holiday or some other special date.) As such any chronological sequence I give to a event is to be taken with a grain of salt, as I will have may very well have selected that context completely at random.

Four score and twenty years ago, I noticed that there were posters up advertising a staff party down at the village. Now I could have sworn that I saw that the Deli staff was invited on the poster, but apparently it was not so (it was actually only for people working the Fairview, Lakeview, and Stube restaurants). However when I went to the guy who was selling tickets, he was rather hazy on who was invited as well, and when I assured him that deli was indeed on the advertising poster (in earnest, though also in error) he didn't object. No one really cared, and there was a BBQ and open bar, so I consider it a success.

Such highlights of this event were the manager of the food and beverage department (IE, really high up) getting rather pain-free (and, interstingly, I learned that before she came to the Chateau, she opened up the Philthy McNasty's in Waterloo. Small world, eh?) and Drew deciding that the 5 dollar fare for the bus was exhorbitant, and walking all the way back up to the Chateau with two other guys (and you all say I'M crazy!) I have to admit I breathed a small sigh of relief when he was in his bed when I woke up in the morning. I also met another poli sci student (she had graduated from Carelton, and had very recently been accepted for her MA in England.) She was very intersting to talk to, and gave me some good ideas about what to do when I graduate.

As at least 3 of you know, less than a week ago my parents came up to visit, marking the halfway point of my time here. While there was originally talk of going white water rafting, scheduling conflicts made it a bit too difficult to carry out. However there was still some good physical activity, as we climbed up to the Lake Agnes teahouse. I found the experience rather pleasant, and I think I may make the trip a bit more frequently- having a destination for a hike is always good, especially when that destination provides a delightful loose leaf tea to relax with at the halfway point. I'm told the farther teahouse (at the plain of six glaciers) is only about 3 hours round trip, so I may try that one next.

I rather admire the people living there though- they really are roughing it, unlike us sheltered Chateauneans. No running water, electricity, nothing. And they have to carry all the garbage they make down to the hotel to be disposed of, since they are in a national park and can't even have compost heaps. I asked our server how he got a job like this (though my mind was thinking more along the lines of WHY) and he said applications were only through direct contact with the owner of the teahouse (in other words, actually going to the teahouse and asking, or being referred through a friend.) He offered to give me the e-mail to apply, which I respectfully, though perhaps a bit too quickly, declined.

Overall the visit was very enjoyable. The rest of the time was spent in Banff, where we went on the Gondola (and my camera broke for reals...at least as far as the picture taking abilities go- so the posting of pictures is still being worked on) and I got to try out a few restaurants in town, which I have to say all rather impressed me. It seems that only quality places survive in a place like Banff, which has limited area availble for development, due to the whole national park deal.

We walked around the Banff Springs Hotel, which was somewhat intimidating. Although it would be nice to work in an actual town as opposed to some distance away from what can charitably be referred to as a hamlet, all I've heard from Springs employees is that expectations there are much harsher due to all the history and relative eminence of the Springs compared to the Chateau, so maybe it's a fair tradeoff. That and I'm also told it is very difficult to save money there, since the options for spending money are plentiful and easily accessible.

For such a small town (permanent population of Banff is about 8000) certain kinds of stores seem to prosper, other than the obvious restaurants. Number one, candy stores. I can't explain it, but you can honestly stand on one corner in Banff and have 4 different candy stores within eyesight. And there are more than that. I haven't done a comprehensive count, but I estimate there are 9 candy stores in Banff. For a town that you can walk from one end to the other in about 15 minutes (20 if you count out to the Springs) it's rather mindboggling.

And more obviously, there are a fair number of liquor stores conveniently located around town, my favorite being the aptly named "A Liquor Store". On a similar note, I still smile when I see the "OK Gift Shop"... because, you know, it's not a great gift shop- but it's ok.

Of course, here at the Chateau, social activities consist of
a) drinking, and
b).... yeah, it's pretty much just drinking
Heather tells me that during the winter months, the pub is much more a place for camaraderie, but has now become much more of a "meet market" (I think that's how it's supposed to be spelled?). She's not overly fond of it, and I'm not either. I like to think it's because I'm not the kind of person who is into that sort of thing, but deep down I'm pretty sure it's just because I suck at it (in other words, I'm not the kind of person who is into that sort of thing, but not necessarily by choice). Regardless, I don't particularly enjoy the pub experience so I don't go that often anymore, and if I do, it's mostly because other people bring me along.

1 second thoughts:
X-men 3 sucked
There are no unattractive waitresses in Banff
The mountains are still gorgeous
I seem to be impervious to sickness
I miss Lucy

Bracket count - 18 (perhaps distracting, but it does give you something of an idea of what it's like in my head....
whoops, 19)

Anyways, it is now 4 am here, so I should get to bed. Don't worry though, I don't work for another 12 hours. Everyone,

Stay Frosty
Trevor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home