The night shift
While I'm still not decided on working the night shifts regularly, my first two goes at it by myself did not exactly warm me to the idea. The second night was somewhat better than the first but still not great. Of course that would be difficult anyways, as the first night was pretty terrible.
First of all there was the fact that I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to do. There was a list in some binder but I knew from my training that it was missing a lot. Usually there is supposed to be a person at 5am coming in to do premade sandwiches, but there was no such shift scheduled for that night. So after doing some cleaning I started to do those. However I didn't really grasp the amount of time it took. Not only is there a LOT of sandwiches to make (about 120) but I kept getting interrupted by people (mostly staff with one major exception) so the next thing I knew it was 6 and there was still a lot I had not done. Of course things got exarcerbated further, because of that one major exception.
Around 4:30 this japanese woman came in, fitting the profile of a tour guide for one of the several asian tour groups,asking if we had boxed breakfasts she had ordered. We did have them in the back, so I gave them to her and all was fine. That is, until 6:30 when ANOTHER one showed up and asked for boxed breakfasts, and said that she was the only organizer for her group. I still haven't figured out who the first woman was (though yesterday I did see a day-old form about a similar number of boxes to be picked up at 4:30 from a different tour group... but I don't know what really happened) but anyways we had to make those boxes for her from scratch, putting us father behind.
The second shift wasn't AS bad, but still not good. Again there was no 5 am shift but I didn't do the sandwiches since Andrew left me a checklist and they were not on it. Of course when 6 am rolled around they were asking where the sandwiches were. But I denounce responsibility for that one. The other problem was something odd with my cash. You see, the night shift has to cash out twice because the business day ends at 3 am, so you need to cash out then and at the end of the shift. The odd thing was, when I did that 3am cashout, the till readout was horribly wrong. It said I had served 77 guests (wrong) and did $350 worth of cash (very, very wrong). I don't know why this happened but I talked to accounting about it and hopefully there won't be any problems.
And so with that I finished off my 9 day stretch on a note that made me very glad to have two days off. I promptly went home and fell asleep for about 12 hours (meaning I got up at ten to seven, barely in time to catch dinner).
Unfortunately there has been a setback on the pictures because Nick's computer has had something go wrong with it so he can't get on the internet anymore. And of course the computers here don't even have CD-ROMs, much less USB ports. I'll try to figure something out.
There aren't really many other developments... things happen slowly around here. The ice on the lake is almost melted but there's still a thin layer there. The snow has almost all gone though. I'm hoping to get some people to go to Banff to see a movie next week (if we can coordinate a day off), and maybe another day take a hike up mount fairview (which, I'm told, everyone has to do at least once). But such plans are merely in the nebulous "yeah we should" phase, so who knows when it will actually happen. But until then
Stay Frosty
Trevor
First of all there was the fact that I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to do. There was a list in some binder but I knew from my training that it was missing a lot. Usually there is supposed to be a person at 5am coming in to do premade sandwiches, but there was no such shift scheduled for that night. So after doing some cleaning I started to do those. However I didn't really grasp the amount of time it took. Not only is there a LOT of sandwiches to make (about 120) but I kept getting interrupted by people (mostly staff with one major exception) so the next thing I knew it was 6 and there was still a lot I had not done. Of course things got exarcerbated further, because of that one major exception.
Around 4:30 this japanese woman came in, fitting the profile of a tour guide for one of the several asian tour groups,asking if we had boxed breakfasts she had ordered. We did have them in the back, so I gave them to her and all was fine. That is, until 6:30 when ANOTHER one showed up and asked for boxed breakfasts, and said that she was the only organizer for her group. I still haven't figured out who the first woman was (though yesterday I did see a day-old form about a similar number of boxes to be picked up at 4:30 from a different tour group... but I don't know what really happened) but anyways we had to make those boxes for her from scratch, putting us father behind.
The second shift wasn't AS bad, but still not good. Again there was no 5 am shift but I didn't do the sandwiches since Andrew left me a checklist and they were not on it. Of course when 6 am rolled around they were asking where the sandwiches were. But I denounce responsibility for that one. The other problem was something odd with my cash. You see, the night shift has to cash out twice because the business day ends at 3 am, so you need to cash out then and at the end of the shift. The odd thing was, when I did that 3am cashout, the till readout was horribly wrong. It said I had served 77 guests (wrong) and did $350 worth of cash (very, very wrong). I don't know why this happened but I talked to accounting about it and hopefully there won't be any problems.
And so with that I finished off my 9 day stretch on a note that made me very glad to have two days off. I promptly went home and fell asleep for about 12 hours (meaning I got up at ten to seven, barely in time to catch dinner).
Unfortunately there has been a setback on the pictures because Nick's computer has had something go wrong with it so he can't get on the internet anymore. And of course the computers here don't even have CD-ROMs, much less USB ports. I'll try to figure something out.
There aren't really many other developments... things happen slowly around here. The ice on the lake is almost melted but there's still a thin layer there. The snow has almost all gone though. I'm hoping to get some people to go to Banff to see a movie next week (if we can coordinate a day off), and maybe another day take a hike up mount fairview (which, I'm told, everyone has to do at least once). But such plans are merely in the nebulous "yeah we should" phase, so who knows when it will actually happen. But until then
Stay Frosty
Trevor

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home