Thursday, April 27, 2006

And another (how lucky!)

I figure that since this is the time when there's a lot of new information, posting a bit more than predicted isn't going to hurt. So orientation is finally done, and let me say, the third day was a doozy.

I know I referred to previous orientation as brainwashing, but they were nothing compared to this one. Maybe it's because we had a different person doing the... orienting? This was the food and beverage one so someone from the head of restaurants was doing the talking. I have to say, I'm kind of surprised the title wasn't "Fitter, Happier, More Productive". This guy had more catchphrases than The Simpsons. Some standouts:
"The Right People in the Right Position." (repeated by far the most of any slogan)
"Consistency Breeds Strength" (This one just sounded REALLY Orwellian to me)
"The Talent You've Got with the Skills You're Taught!" (I was watching for his teeth to sparkle after this one. I was disappointed)
"You'll know the standards and you'll LIKE THEM"

Keep in mind he repeated these and a few others numerous times throughout the 4-ish hours he was talking.

You have to give credit to this guy, I guess. I couldn't do what he was doing. I could not spout off all that utter hogwash in total earnestness and without a hint of irony in my voice. I really don't think I could keep my lips from cracking into a wry grin or my eyes from rolling sardonically. Especially not week after week.

And to answer Richard's question: personally I think I have been spoiled by Laurier. There are more girls than guys here I think, but not to the proportion I've become used to, and a surprising number of them are taken already. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks though, when the 150 new people arrive.

Some interesting statistics: During a busy summer day, up to 16,000 people will come to the Lake. Last year the first snow of the year was June 16th (I still don't quite believe that one). After the next couple weeks there will be 850 people working here.

I went into the Deli today after taking a walk on the lake shore for a bit. I talked to the girl who's going to be training me tomorrow, and she admitted that she hasn't walked around the lake since August. That seems to enforce something I was thinking about as I came in on the bus here- basically, that there are 3 stages of reaction to this area. When you first get here you're absolutely awestruck. I'm at that point still. I hope I can keep it up all summer. But it seems that, like everything else I guess, you get used to it and then you don't really see it anymore. That seems like such a sad state. The primary reason for being here should be the location. If you forget it... then you're just working. And of course, the third level is that mythical status of having lived here for so long that you have a deep intimacy with the mountains and appreciate them on a deeper level than everyone else. I wonder if that Parks Canada guy from feels like that.

I was listening to OK Computer on my walk around the lake. It's always special when you are in a situation where a song applies directly to what you are seeing. This was one of them. The last song, "The Tourist", was written by the guitar player while he was sitting on a bench in Paris, watching tour groups shuffle around and trying to see everything in 45 minutes. The chorus just goes "Hey man...slow down...idiot...slow down...". It really applies to this area.

Remember how I said that 16,000 people will come up to the lake in a single summer day? Well, the hotel only has 550 rooms and 850 employees. Even assuming that every single room is filled with 4 people (HIGHLY unlikely) that's only about 3000 people. Meaning 12,000 people show up that aren't even staying here for a night-tour groups on their way to Calgary or Banff, I guess. I don't feel like I'll even see 1/10th of the things to see in this place by the time I leave. Hell, 1/10th is a very generous estimate. Seems like such a waste to come up here, say "what a pretty lake" and leave. Maybe I'm asking too much of people. It's not like 16,000 people can become explore this whole area everyday either. I suppose that's the challenge of national parks...turning natural places into tourist traps, but also being dedicated to preserving it and trying to get people to respect them.

As another sidenote, though clever capitalism may have cheated me out of 5 bucks at the airport, I honestly feel like some people here are getting a much rawer deal. Specifically, the so-called "gold rooms" that we got a tour of yesterday. These are rooms with all sorts of special amenities, their own private lounge and all that...but honestly, I don't see the worth. It's one of those status things, I guess. We got a tour of a room... it's 900 bucks a night or something. And I couldn't see much that to differentiate it from any other hotel room. I suppose it had gold coloured carpet, but I don't know what that's worth. It had one queen sized bed, a chair and a TV. It was pretty small. Sure it had a view of the lake but so do half the rooms in the hotel. Amazing what people will pay for.

Yet again, I'm glad I came this week. Tomorrow training will be only with Lauren and myself. There are like 10 people starting next week though. It'll be nice to be getting a bit more one-on-one training, not in a group. It certainly doesn't look like this place lets you relax once things get going, but there's also a lot more people on than anywhere I've been... I think it's 8 people during the highest period of overlap. Pretty crazy.

But I will find out how things work tomorrow. Out of the frying pan...

Stay Frosty
Trevor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home