Orientation (special bonus post)
Of the many things mountain air purportedly does, improving memory does not seem to be one of them, as I was certain that my final day of orientation today was starting at 8, but it would appear it is actually at 9. So to occupy the time I will go over my first two days of orientation. It will be a good chance to introduce some of the people I hope will be recurring characters in this little adventure.
I'm quite glad to have arrived this week. My orientation group is only about 15 people as opposed to the 80 for next week, and so far we seem to be getting along. The overwhelming majority of the group is from Ontario, and I think the rest are all Albertans. The notables of the orientation group:
Drew: As I said before, he and I are getting along quite well. Definitely a better roommate than at UP.
Owen: From Toronto, Owen is most likely too cool for his own good. Definitely has the whole indie-hipster thing down. But he's not obnoxious about it, and certainly keeps the action going. He's in polisci/philosophy too, and is in stewarding along with Drew.
Nick: Owen's roommate. I'm not positive where he's from. He's a fairly calm guy but he's got a good sense of humour. He and Owen seem to get along well too. He's working the front (not Conceirge, but around there)
Bianca: From Toronto. She met Drew and Owen on the way up, on the bus I suppose. She's working housekeeping. Just slightly on the outgoing side, she is in the odd position of having not yet seen her roommates, as one has left for a month's vacation and the others seem to work just the right shifts so that they are never in teh apartment together.
Meredith: From Ottawa, I believe. Doesn't talk a whole lot, but has a pretty friendly personality. I guess she's pretty athletic or something because yesterday I saw her setting up a rope from two trees and practicing balancing along it. Definitely got a lot farther than I would have. I think she's housekeeping too.
Lauren: Also working in the deli, from Guelph. Either the shyest person in existence, or she doesn't like me that much. So far I've been lucky to get a monosyballic response out of her. Naturally she's the one I'm working with. Teamwork!
There are a few others, such as two girls working banquets who seem to stick to themselves and a few returning or older guys who seem to just want to get on to work.
After my previous post, the aforementioned group and I went to the employee pub. Smart move, Fairmont. I bet half the wages they pay out go right back into this place. It's dingy and smokey. According to Arnt and Josh, the busiest nights are Monday (Fresh Meat night, when all the new recruits invariably check the place out. We were identified right away, not just because we weren't recognized, but because we were there at 10:30, when most people don't show up until midnight or so), Thursday (payday) and Saturday (just because). They had MuchMusic playing on the TVs on mute, and the completely unrelated music up quite loud. For some reason that made me laugh. There are 3 pool tables, and apparantly it gets pretty competitive. Despite it being one of the busy nights, it really didn't seem that busy. Drew and I left a little early, but man did the sound level outside go up around 3 am (when the place closes). Apparently this is a problem, as it is a regular thing and might affect the wildlife. Probably going back next monday to meet all the newbies.
Orientation itself has been pretty boring. Standard corporate brainwashing, basically- trying to get us all rah-rah-rah about working for Fairmont. The first day, at least. The second day was pretty cool, because the second half of it was a presentation by Parks Canada on the actual area we're living in. Bear safety, hiking safety, information about wildlife and such. The guy was a really good speaker, and he actually managed to get me fairly excited about going out hiking around here. Even here, that's a bit of a feat.
After that I got a bit of a tour of the deli with Lauren. We're both going to be working a lot. I only have monday off this week. Oye. And working here seems like it'll be pretty busy.
Last night Owen, Drew, Nick and I walked down to Lake Louise (the town...er...hamlet, technically). We picked up some groceries and decided to go to the restaurant. It's funny because everything seems like a splurge since the Bean is 2.50. But damned if that wasn't a tasty burger.
Anyways, I need to get back to the REAL orientation time. I'll update this again after some actual deli time.
Stay Frosty,
Trevor
I'm quite glad to have arrived this week. My orientation group is only about 15 people as opposed to the 80 for next week, and so far we seem to be getting along. The overwhelming majority of the group is from Ontario, and I think the rest are all Albertans. The notables of the orientation group:
Drew: As I said before, he and I are getting along quite well. Definitely a better roommate than at UP.
Owen: From Toronto, Owen is most likely too cool for his own good. Definitely has the whole indie-hipster thing down. But he's not obnoxious about it, and certainly keeps the action going. He's in polisci/philosophy too, and is in stewarding along with Drew.
Nick: Owen's roommate. I'm not positive where he's from. He's a fairly calm guy but he's got a good sense of humour. He and Owen seem to get along well too. He's working the front (not Conceirge, but around there)
Bianca: From Toronto. She met Drew and Owen on the way up, on the bus I suppose. She's working housekeeping. Just slightly on the outgoing side, she is in the odd position of having not yet seen her roommates, as one has left for a month's vacation and the others seem to work just the right shifts so that they are never in teh apartment together.
Meredith: From Ottawa, I believe. Doesn't talk a whole lot, but has a pretty friendly personality. I guess she's pretty athletic or something because yesterday I saw her setting up a rope from two trees and practicing balancing along it. Definitely got a lot farther than I would have. I think she's housekeeping too.
Lauren: Also working in the deli, from Guelph. Either the shyest person in existence, or she doesn't like me that much. So far I've been lucky to get a monosyballic response out of her. Naturally she's the one I'm working with. Teamwork!
There are a few others, such as two girls working banquets who seem to stick to themselves and a few returning or older guys who seem to just want to get on to work.
After my previous post, the aforementioned group and I went to the employee pub. Smart move, Fairmont. I bet half the wages they pay out go right back into this place. It's dingy and smokey. According to Arnt and Josh, the busiest nights are Monday (Fresh Meat night, when all the new recruits invariably check the place out. We were identified right away, not just because we weren't recognized, but because we were there at 10:30, when most people don't show up until midnight or so), Thursday (payday) and Saturday (just because). They had MuchMusic playing on the TVs on mute, and the completely unrelated music up quite loud. For some reason that made me laugh. There are 3 pool tables, and apparantly it gets pretty competitive. Despite it being one of the busy nights, it really didn't seem that busy. Drew and I left a little early, but man did the sound level outside go up around 3 am (when the place closes). Apparently this is a problem, as it is a regular thing and might affect the wildlife. Probably going back next monday to meet all the newbies.
Orientation itself has been pretty boring. Standard corporate brainwashing, basically- trying to get us all rah-rah-rah about working for Fairmont. The first day, at least. The second day was pretty cool, because the second half of it was a presentation by Parks Canada on the actual area we're living in. Bear safety, hiking safety, information about wildlife and such. The guy was a really good speaker, and he actually managed to get me fairly excited about going out hiking around here. Even here, that's a bit of a feat.
After that I got a bit of a tour of the deli with Lauren. We're both going to be working a lot. I only have monday off this week. Oye. And working here seems like it'll be pretty busy.
Last night Owen, Drew, Nick and I walked down to Lake Louise (the town...er...hamlet, technically). We picked up some groceries and decided to go to the restaurant. It's funny because everything seems like a splurge since the Bean is 2.50. But damned if that wasn't a tasty burger.
Anyways, I need to get back to the REAL orientation time. I'll update this again after some actual deli time.
Stay Frosty,
Trevor

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home